Thursday, February 24, 2011

the rest of the weekend

Sunday morning I woke up early and went to the early service at church. Then I went to the grocery store which is always an adventure. I take for granted being able to get in my car and drive to the grocery store at home. Here I walk, take the metro, try to fit my groceries in my backpack, and carry them home. Thankfully I did not need too many groceries.

A group of us decided to go to Old Town Alexandria for the rest of the day. The weather was absolutely beautiful! We sat outside at this cafe, Bread and Chocolate, and I had a delicious apple croissant. We walked along King Street, stopped by Candi's Candies, and played frisbee in a park near the bank of the Potomac River. It was a great afternoon!









I went home and made dinner Sunday night before a group of us decided to go see a movie in Chinatown.

Monday I had the blessing of a day off for President's Day. Bethany and I went to the Library of Congress. They were hosting an open house for President's Day so we were able to go into the main reading room and take pictures. It is an absolutely stunning library. They have an old-school card catalog system so we even explored the back halls full of drawers with book cards on them.









Afterward we went to the National Geographic Museum. They had three really neat photograph exhibits. The President's Photographers: 50 Years Inside the Oval Office had some great shots of presidents and first families. Beyond the Story: National Geographic Unpublished was a wide range of photos taken but not used in the magazine during 2010. And Great Migrations: A Photography Exhibition displayed animals all over the world moving in huge groups. All of the exhibits were really cool, and I tried to think about the composition and what I could apply as I learn to take pictures.

Unfortunately we had class Monday night. Class is just a long time of sitting and learning about American foreign policy. We have a midterm next week so my evenings after work will be filled with studying. Wahoo...

No comments:

Post a Comment