Thursday, March 17, 2011

Crazy and Busy in DC

It has been a while since i have made a blog post. Things have been so busy in DC! I have definitely found a routine between my internship and fun and food. I can't believe I only have a little over 5 weeks left.

Since my last blog post, we had a seminar luncheon at National Geographic. I did not realize what a huge organization National Geographic is. We were able to meet the communications director who is a UGA alum. The inventor of the Crittercam was also there. He was so neat and a great example of someone who really followed their dreams. We were able to watch videos from the Crittercam footage while he explained the process of creating the Crittercam. Check it out: Crittercam

I also was able to travel home the weekend before last by flying stand-by. It was a very last minute decision, but it was so nice to get home and see everyone. Flyign stand-by proved to be a little stressful Sunday night when I was afraid I wouldn't make it back for work and class on Monday. I had a paper due too! But everything worked out.

Last week I was able to attend an address by the Prime Minister of Australia to Congress. It was so neat! She spoke a lot about Australia's allegiance to the United States. There was a lot of getting up and clapping and sitting back down. It was so diplomatic, for lack of a better word.

The next day I went to a hearing where Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was testifying about the budget of the State Department. It was really incredible to be so close to her. She was insanely well-prepared and knowledgeable about United States involvement oversees.

Out next seminar was at the Pentagon where Brigadier General Haire gave us a tour. I was amazed by the enormous size of the building. We were able to go to the memorial and chapel where the Pentagon was hit by a plane on September 11. We were also able to walk between the "glass doors." This is a special area of the pentagon which is where the offices of the Secretary of Defense and the Chiefs of Staff are located.

Last Friday I went to dinner with Bethany, Bethany's sister, and their friends at Perry's in Adams Morgan. They have a great outdoor sitting area on top of the restaurant, but it was a little too cold for us to sit outside. They also had a large sushi menu and it was delicious!

I spent the weekend enjoying the beautiful weather. It really warmed up outside. A group of us went down to the National Mall and played frisbee on Saturday. I also explored the United States Botanical Garden. It was a beautiful conservatory with tons of different plants. I definitely want to go back with my camera and take some pictures.

I am really enjoying my small group at National Community Church. We get together once and week and everyone is awesome. We have been reading through Romans together. I am so blessed for this amazing group of women!!!

This week I began to interview for summer internships. It has been a very busy week. I am definitely looking forward to the weekend! I am hoping to go to Georgetown and to Mount Vernon.

"God wants you to get where God wants you to go more than you want to get where God wants you to go... If you keep in step with the Spirit, God is going to make sure you get where He wants you to go. He is always working behind the scenes, engineering our circumstances and setting us up for success." - Mark Batterson

No comments:

Post a Comment