Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Weekend Shenanigans

I had a really fun weekend! Friday night I cheered on the Dawgs as much as I could all the way from DC. Unfortunately, my cheering didn't being a win, but it was a great game! I can't wait to be back in Athens next year for basketball season.

On Saturday I woke up early to go to the United States Botanic Garden. They have such a beautiful space. I was itching to take some pictures (see previous blog post). After that, I went over the the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian and looked around. They have some really neat exhibits about the history of American Indians.

I met up with some girls from my small group and we went to Georgetown. There are several rival cupcake spots, but we went to the newest: Sprinkles. I bought two cupcakes, a strawberry and a milk chocolate, and both were delicious!

My next stop was my weekly adventure to the grocery store. Somehow I bought more than I usually do, which made the walk home quite the workout. My biceps are going to be HUGE from shopping here.

I went to the Saturday night service at Ebenezers Church which was amazing as usual. We talked about Abraham and his amazing faith.

For dinner Bethany and I went to Ted's Bulletin. They specialize in classic American items, and I heard they had great sloppy joe sandwiches so that is what I had. And it was really good! They also have a pastry chef who makes homemade pop-tarts, twinkies, and snowballs. Fun! Bethany and I lucked out and got a free cinnamon sugar pop-tart which was also delicious!

The finale of Saturday was an impromptu dance party on the hall.

On Sunday a small group of us ventured out to Mount Vernon. It was a very long journey on the metro and then on a bus to get there, but it was well worth it. We took a mansion tour and learned about how President Washington and the First Lady lived. They had an amazing view of the Potomac River from their back porch. President Washington was also a farmer with over 8,000 acres. They had many farm animals including some especially cute lambs. We were able to meet First Lady Washington who was very quick on her feet as she answered questions about her life and the era. It was a neat day trip!



On our way home from Mount Vernon, we stopped in Old Town Alexandria for dinner. We decided on Hank's Oyster Bar which was a really fun place. They specialize in oysters and when I ordered half a dozen, they brought me 6 different kinds from the Eastern Seaboard. It was neat to try different ones. I also had some delicious lobster bisque. Yum!

Our final stop was Alexandria Cupcakes. As if two cupcakes were not enough Saturday, Sunday I had a chocolate peanut butter which was out-of-this-world good.

It was a successful weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment