Monday, January 17, 2011

Busiest 3-Day Weekend

The 3-day weekend has flown by.

On Saturday, Bethany and I went to the Old Post Office Tower. The building was constructed 110 years ago and designed by architect, Willoughby J. Edbrook who also designed the Georgia State Capitol. We rode an elevator to the 270-foot observation deck at the top of the clock tower and witnessed incredible views of the entire city.

Old Post Office Tower


View of Pennsylvania Avenue and Capitol Hill from the observation deck


View of the Washington Monument from the observation deck


We also went inside the lobby of the Willard Hotel which was absolutely stunning. The hotel has been preserved to its original grandeur. This hotel has hosted every president, as a sleeping guest or as a guest at a social function, since Zachary Taylor in 1850.

Willard Hotel lobby


Our next stop was Ford’s Theatre which is where President Lincoln was assassinated.

Me at Ford's Theatre


The final adventure on Saturday was the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery. One of my favorite exhibits was the portraits of all the presidents. There was also a special exhibition that displayed photographs of Elvis Presley by Alfred Wertheimer that was really neat. The art museum was full of tons of artists that I really enjoyed seeing such as Asher Durand, Mary Cassatt, Edward Hopper, and Thomas Hart Benton.

Bethany with the most exciting presidential portrait


Me and President Bush


Saturday night we all went out to cheer on the Falcons. We got a lot of funny looks as the lonely Falcons fans in DC. Apparently our cheers were not enough to help them achieve a win…

On Sunday, I went to church and then met up with a mutual friend in Georgetown. We went to a really great restaurant for brunch on the Georgetown Waterfront, Farmers and Fishers. Then we walked around all of the great shops in Georgetown.

When I got back to my apartment on Sunday, I was welcomed by a beautiful flower arrangement from Justin. Thank you Justin!

Flowers from Justin


Since I didn’t have work today, Bethany and I decided we would use the day to do some more exploring. This morning we went to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History. My favorite exhibits were the First Ladies at the Smithsonian which featured many of their inaugural gowns and Julia Child’s Kitchen.

We then ventured out to Adams Morgan and ate at The Diner which features a menu with 6 specialty grilled cheese sandwiches. I had “Plymouth Rock” which was swiss, turkey, and cranberry sauce. It was delicious!

After lunch we went to Open City and I had the best vanilla latte I have ever had! It was so good! And it may have helped that it was served with animal crackers.

Today I was also surprised to have an edible arrangement bouquet delivered from Alyson! What a truly wonderful friend! I love you!

Daddy has asked me a few times to find out why it is named the “District of Columbia.” Well after referring to Wikipedia, it appears that this special area, or “District,” was created by Congress to be the center of government for the United States. The Constitution specified that the “District” would be a 10 mile by 10 mile square. The city, Washington, was of course named after President George Washington. The district was named Columbia because that was a poetic name for the United States at the time.

1 comment:

  1. The pictures look great! Glad to see you're having a good time! I'm hoping I get to see you soooooon! :)

    ReplyDelete