Wednesday, January 26, 2011

the busy life of an intern

Things have been really busy in DC. Between my internship, class, seminars, and homework, I have found little time to be a tourist!

But last week I had an incredible opportunity to meet with a mutual friend who works for a communications firm. She was able to offer lots of advice about the public relations field, and she gave me a tour of her firm. It was a really neat experience.

Last week I also got an awesome care package from Mom and Dad! They sent homemade turnip greens, beef stew, lasagna, and cornbread as well as some other goodies! Thanks ya'll! I love you!

Over the weekend Bethany and I decided to take advantage of "Restaurant Week." Throughout the week over 200 of the finest restaurants in DC offer mutli-course meals for a more reasonable price that usual. We went to Jaleo, a Spanish tapas restaurant. It was the best! I had mushroom soup, chorizos wrapped in fried potatoes, seared scallops, and chocolate mousse. We were so full after lunch that we had to go home and take a nap!

Saturday night we went to go see a movie in Georgetown. We saw Blue Valentine, which was a wonderful movie in regards to the acting and cinematography, but the story line was really depressing. In our feat of learning how to use the public transportation, we had an adventure returning from Georgetown. We took three buses, one of which hit a taxi, a metro, and a walk, but finally made it home!

After church on Sunday, we ran some errands to restock our food. The rest of the day was dedicated to homework and studying.

This week I was able to attend a hearing on UN issues which was really interesting. It is still somewhat surreal that I am in the middle of everything that is talked about on national news. I feel like I am living in C-SPAN sometimes.

Last night, Bethany's dad came into town and took us out to dinner which was a wonderful treat! We went to Peking Gourmet Inn which is well known around town, and a personal favorite of the Bush family. Throughout the restaurant, there were hundreds of pictures of all the important people who have eaten there. And we had duck exactly like I had last summer in Beijing! I felt like I was back in China!

After dinner we went back to the metro station to head home. A metro train was coming, but it appeared that it was going beyond our location on the platform. Bethany and I decided we would run to make sure we didn't miss it. It never stopped. I think everyone in the metro station was laughing at us. I guess we still look like we don't exactly belong.

I came home today to another care package from Justin! It had cashew clusters which are one of my favorite snacks! The giant bag will probably be eaten by next week! Thank you Justin! You are the best!

I walked home from work in the beginnings of a winter weather storm. They are predicting 5-8 inches of snow by morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment